Looking for the perfect picnic lunch or something quick and satisfying to take to work? This whole foods vegan chicken salad made with chickpeas is just the ticket! It’s got protein from chickpeas, a little crunch from celery, and a pop of sweet from dried cranberries. I could eat it every day and not get tired of it.
What will you need to make this vegan chickpea chicken salad sandwich?
- vegan mayo
- celery and onions (optional)
- dried cranberries or blueberries
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- salt and pepper
- lettuce or microgreens (optional)
- your favorite bread
How to Make Chickpea Chicken Salad
First thing is to make your chickpeas. If you aren’t sure how to do that, you can reference my Chickpea 101 Guide here which explains how to rehydrate the dried kind easily. I cooked mine in a pressure cooker so they were ready super quickly, but you can also go for a good old fashioned can of chickpeas if you didn’t have time to make ahead- just make sure you rinse first!
Add your chickpeas to a bowl and mash with a fork. Set out your bread, celery and dried cranberries, and then grab your mayo and spices.
Take a stalk or two of celery and slice them lengthwise down the middle. Next, chop into smaller pieces and toss into a bowl with your cooked chickpeas. Sprinkle in your dried cranberries, and a big dollop of vegan mayo or unsweetened yogurt. Add in garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
Next, grab a loaf of your favorite bread. I found this fluffy plant based bread at Sprouts Farmers Market by the way. Their new plant based line of bread offers plant based brioche, wheat, and white so you can mix up your sandwich game!
- This vegan chicken salad can also be made with white beans if you don’t have chickpeas or have an allergy. It tastes just as good and contains about the same amount of protein.
- Instead of vegan mayonnaise, you can sub in avocado or plant based yogurt for a creamy binding agent – just make sure you get unsweetened or you’ll have a chicken salad dessert on your hands.
- I love any kind of dried or fresh fruit in these types of sandwiches. Of course the cranberries are a classic, but you can always sub in dried blueberries, or even fresh blueberries, cherries, or grapes! Boom – a dreamy picnic sandwich you didn’t even know you needed.
- Other veggies are always really good in chick’n salads too – celery of course, but why not sub in onions or carrots too if you like them?
Serving and Storing Ideas for Chickpea Chicken Salad Sandwich
Shake things up! This vegan chicken salad is amazing in lettuce wraps, over a big salad, or on its own with crackers or celery for dipping. I always serve it with root veggie chips, radish slices, or plantain chips for an extra crunch.
This chickpea salad will stay good in the fridge for about three days in a covered airtight container. Tip: if making ahead of time, store the chick’n salad separately from the bread or put lettuce between the chick’n salad and bread so it doesn’t make the sandwich soggy.
Vegan Chickpea Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 1 cup chickpeas cooked and rinsed
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1/8 onion diced
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2-3 leaves butter lettuce
- 2 slices bread
- Cook and rinse chickpeas or open a can and drain. Add to a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Take a stalk or two of celery and slice lengthwise down the middle. Next, chop into smaller pieces and toss into a bowl with cooked chickpeas.
- Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of dried cranberries, and a 1 1/2 tablespoons of vegan mayo or unsweetened yogurt.
- Add in 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Mix well.
- Next, grab a loaf of your favorite bread. You can opt to toast if you like. Add chickpea salad to bread, top with lettuce, and serve with your favorite sides.
Where to find more Chickpea and Herb!
Lauren 🌱 Easy #Vegan seasonal recipes: usually healthy, always satisfying. Sustainability + garden to table inspo
Vegan since ‘13👇click for recipes
If you liked this recipe, check out a few other vegan lunch ideas:
Vegan Mediterranean Lettuce Cups – a delicious low carb lunch or dinner recipe that comes together in under 30 minutes! Plus a bonus recipe of easy, healthy sweet potato fries you’ll find irresistible!
Chickpea Tuna Salad Sandwiches on Homemade Potato Bread – an easy easy easy and delicious chickpea dish that is so reminiscent of tuna salad you’ll be shocked.
Chili Sesame Tofu Noodle Bowl – a scrumptious 20 minute raw lunch with lots of flavor and no cooking! Win!